Laser Dentistry Services in Flagstaff
Your Flagstaff dentist values technology because it allows for the most comfortable and efficient care -- and one example is with laser dentistry. Where most dentists offices would use a scalpel for soft tissue procedures, Dr. Bacon prefers the iLase diode dental laser, and we have since 2012. Keep reading to learn more about how this state-of-the-art technique works!
How Does Laser Gum Surgery Work?
Laser dentistry is completed more quickly and with greater precision than is possible with a scalpel. It uses a focused laser beam to vaporize excess soft tissue in the mouth. The beam itself is very small, actually less than half a millimeter, or about the size of the very tip of a safety pin. Most procedures can be completed in just 20 to 30 minutes, with little to no discomfort or bleeding.
Uses for the Soft Tissue Laser
The soft tissue laser has a number of applications thanks to its multiple settings that can accommodate a number of needs. From removing excess gum tissue to treating gum disease, we can do (almost) all with laser dentistry.
We may recommend the soft tissue laser for the following procedures:
- Teeth desensitization. By sealing the microscopic tubules at the tooth’s root, the laser can provide relief for six months up to a year.
- Treatment of cold sores -- a huge breakthrough. There aren’t many non-medicinal treatments of cold sores, but if lasered from the very beginning, Dr. Bacon can reduce pain and speed up healing times. Oftentimes the cold sore never returns.
- TMJ therapy. Flagstaff patients may be surprised to learn that a painful, clicking jaw can be fixed with the soft tissue laser, but it’s true -- it can increase blood flow to soothe the area and increase the body’s ability to heal.
- Teeth whitening for patients who have experienced sensitivity with whitening treatments in the past.
- Treating gum disease by removing infected tissue from the periodontal pockets.
- Treatment for a gummy smile, or when there is too much gum tissue covering up the pearly white tooth enamel that is hidden beneath.
- Frenectomy, the excess tissue that can pull away at the gums in adults or even inhibit proper feeding in babies and children.
Benefits of Laser Gum Surgery
Compared to a traditional scalpel, the laser offers a number of benefits for patients who need to have a soft tissue procedure. Some of the most significant advantages of this method include:
- Bleeding is minimized
- Almost no discomfort
- Faster healing times
- Laser sterilizes as it works
- Allows your dentist better control and smoother contour
- Can be used for many procedures
And when you get right down to it, the difference is obvious. Switching from using a scalpel to a cordless laser is like upgrading from a horse and carriage to a Mercedes-Benz!
Learn More Today!
If you are interesting in learning more about soft tissue laser procedures or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for laser dentistry in Flagstaff. Request an appointment online today!