Partial Dentures in Flagstaff, AZ
If you are missing some teeth, partial dentures may be the ideal solution. These attractive replacement teeth can restore your smile without extracting any remaining healthy teeth in the upper or lower jawbone.
What are Partial Dentures?
Partial dentures are removable prosthetic teeth that replace multiple missing teeth in the upper or lower jawbone. They serve two functions – cosmetic, restoring your smile by giving you the appearance of a complete set of healthy teeth and giving you back the ability to eat and drink normally. Wearing partial dentures can also keep any remaining teeth from shifting out of place.
A partial denture may be held in place with wires, clasps, or small fasteners that attach to the remaining healthy teeth. Unlike complete dentures, which have an entire denture base, partial dentures do not use suction on the roof of the mouth to stay in place.
Why Would I Need a Partial Denture?
Patients may need a partial denture for the same reasons many patients need a complete denture:
- You have multiple missing teeth.
- You do not want or cannot get dental implants.
- You’ve lost or damaged teeth in a traumatic accident.
- You have severely decayed teeth that have to be extracted and replaced.
Ready To Restore Your Smile?
Contact our office today to schedule an appointment!
What to Expect During Your Appointment
At your initial consultation with Drs. Stowell, Blane, or Bacon, you undergo a thorough oral examination, including X-rays. We will review your medical history and the X-rays with you to determine whether partial dentures are right for you.
We will explain the process and take intraoral scans and an impression of your teeth and gums. Our lab uses the scans and impressions to fabricate a precision-fitted partial denture that is comfortable, durable, and attractive. It will blend seamlessly with your remaining natural teeth.
When the partial denture is ready, you return to our office to try wearing the denture. We make adjustments to ensure a precise fit and comfort at this appointment. After a few weeks, we recheck the fit and make any additional changes needed to ensure your comfort and a snug fit. With proper care, your partial denture can last for years once it is finished and fitted.
Caring for Your Partial Dentures
Like any dental prosthetic, partial dentures are subjected to a great deal of wear and tear over time. Eating, drinking, chewing, and talking all contribute to the slow wearing away or damage to dentures. They must be replaced or relined periodically to ensure they remain comfortable and do not throw the jawbone out of alignment. Because the gums and jawbone gradually recede when teeth are missing, it is essential to have your partial dentures checked out regularly by your dentist.
We will provide you with detailed at-home care instructions for your partial dentures. Following these instructions closely will ensure your dentures last as long as possible and fit correctly. Keep these tips in mind for the best fit and function:
- Clean your dentures twice a day with a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Soak them in cool water or a denture cleanser overnight. Do not sleep with your dentures in place.
- Remember to brush your tongue, gums, and the roof of the mouth to minimize your risk of gum disease, which can develop even if some of your teeth are missing.
- Insert and remove your dentures carefully. Do not force them into your mouth if they don’t fit. Any changes in fit should be brought to our attention so we can make any needed adjustments.
- Handle your dentures carefully, as they can easily break if dropped. When you aren’t wearing them, keep them in their case.